Nick Rhodes Quotes

1. People used to say that Duran Duran had gay overtones and must therefore have an enormous gay following. But they discovered that we had more of a girl following than a gay one. I suppose we have adopted a certain flamboyance which for some reason has always been associated with gays and not everybody finds that easy to accept…this is just an example of people's attempts to separate everything into categories…it seems silly to me because gay people are exactly the same as everybody else except for their sexual habits.


2. I still love music - that's never gonna go away.


3. How could I live without Fellini in my life? I have to watch a Fellini movie every three or four months. That always makes me feel better.


4. Someone told us one day that these five queens had stolen our moniker. So we were properly cross with them, right, we'll getcha.

5. (on men wearing makeup) There's nothing strange about it. Men want to look good as much as women do.



6. Duran is something I enjoy doing, but I have a bigger world out there.


7. I got this idea about being afraid to let go of something and being afraid of sinking into a state of almost anesthesia, where you have to trust other people. Just the paranoia of it all. And it seemed to suit the frenetic track. So I just wrote it out and, you know, said it.


8. Today I'm wearing a black Armani suit. I don't do casual. I never wear jeans. Tomorrow I might put on a waistcoat, tie and smart pair of trousers with black lace-up shoes to go food shopping. I'm a little like Diana Vreeland in that respect.



9. Obviously with every new album we make, we always have to believe in it and feel we've gone in the right direction.


10. When I wake up in the morning, I look in the mirror, see what the damage is, then take from there (chuckles). What a lot of people don't realize, is all men who are on television or stage (even newscasters) wear makeup. I believe it's a tool to be utilized if you wish. 




11. Britain's best-kept secret is Antony Price. I've worked with him for over 20 years. He's got the taste of Tom Ford, the ability of Saint Laurent and the edginess of the British Invasion. His clothing is beyond any couture I've ever seen - it belongs in the Victoria & Albert Museum.



12. (on how people assumed he was homosexual in the 80s) I didn't mind either way. I'm sure a lot of people still think I am. I never thought things like that mattered. It's like, why?


13. For me a bit of anthropology in the evening is always better than staying and watching the telly. The irony is that people are now more interested in other peoples' lives than their own. Of course I understand the fascination with watching reality TV disasters and seeing how people are going to react is human nature. But actually, I would always encourage people to go and find someone you can talk to rather than someone you can just watch.

14. I'm fascinated with genetic science, and I have been for a very long time. I always look at science and technology because I think that the developments in my lifetime have been so remarkable - and we're only at the tip of the iceberg with projects like decoding the human genome.


15. I suppose that I'm fairly comfortable with the clown hat on. 







16. I think my attention span is too long to tweet.

17. I started wearing makeup when I was a bit older. I would've used my mum's makeup box, but she probably didn't have the colors I was after. So I always used my girlfriend's makeup instead. I wore anything that glittered and shone.



18. Tony Blair is Margaret Thatcher in drag.


19. Somebody accused us when I was in New York of being wholly responsible for Metrosexuality. And I asked, is that an accusation or a compliment? We're all for male grooming, honey. Anything that can make life just that little bit more beautiful, that doesn't take up that much time or money, everyone should do it. The world would be a better place.

20. I've always focused on tailoring. Ozwald Boateng makes the sharpest suit in town and Costume National has beautiful black jackets. Helmut Lang made unbelievable menswear through the '90s. I miss his clothes the most.


21. I taught my girlfriends.

22. I listened to the Lana Del Rey album the other day. She has something fragile about her that I really, really like. So I'll listen to a little bit of hip-hop, a little bit of electronic music, which is probably my favourite genre, but then I listen to classical music at home. And I just played Off the Wall for the first time in ages, and remembered how damn good it is

23. My ultimate style icon is Grace Jones.


24. You listen to a piece of music and it will remind you of something - it might make you happy, it might make you sad, but it is very emotive. And I think that Duran Duran have always understood that.






25. One of my gay friends calls me a lesbian, actually - she says: "You're just a girl who likes girls." I've got a lot of empathy for the gay world, always have had, I think a lot of the most creative people are gay. And a lot of my dear, dear friends, but as for my own tastes, it just doesn't work like that. Genetically it didn't go that way. 


26. My least favorite trend is grunge. That look of slightly unwashed layers of T-shirts is not appealing to me. I hedge towards things that shine.

27. I find that the older you get, the more helpful eyeliner is.

28. If you look at the content of songs people write, it's usually about the things they know best.

29. I felt very grown up when I was wearing makeup, thank you very much.


30. We've been accused of creating metrosexuality. If that's what you think, then fine. We're not that different from a lot of English guys who are perhaps a little more...flexible about the way they are.


31. I like to encourage new talent. Some of the young British designers like Christopher Kane and Gareth Pugh have shown creative ability from the days of Vivienne Westwood and McQueen. Their clothes are sharp and modern. Bigger designers are often more sanitized.


32. The Internet is the greatest tool for any artist to have interaction with any audience.







33. I love pop culture. I love to be inside of it, and step outside and look back in.

34. Women's fashion is more interesting than men's. Funny enough, I'm better at choosing something for my girlfriend than for myself. Marc Jacobs is incredibly clever. I've seen many of his shows and have never been let down.


35. I think pop culture is the greatest subject matter out there - "Other People's Lives," as we wrote about on the last Duran Duran album. Most ideas for great songs come from real situations, something your friend said to you the night before, the girl that just left, or something traumatic in your life.


36. The ultimate rock star accessory is a nice pair of shades. Cutler & Gross are consistently very good. I have a pair from Chrome Hearts that make you look like a bug. I don't mind that look.


37. I always say to people, the Eighties were so inventive because people wanted to stand out. By the time we got to the Nineties, everyone wanted to fit in. It was all about having the same pair of trainers and the same pair of jeans. That's fatal. Whereas the Eighties you would never be seen in the same pair of jeans that somebody else was wearing.



38. Style has always been very important to us. We grew up in the '70s. Music was glam rock, punk rock and a very stylish movement.


39. With musicians today, I prefer people who stand out. Brandon Flowers from The Killers has great style. He's not afraid of feathers. I always love a man who is not afraid of feathers. 


40. A lot of other bands have tried to go out there and say we've got views on this and views on that. But some of it I've found opportunist. Duran Duran has always been honest about everything. We've always laid everything out.


41. MTV didn't exist in 1980, but by 1982, it had gotten to be a force to be reckoned with.




42. The most stylish country in the world is Italy.

43. You can only sleep in one bed at a time.


44. I'm sure I'm a schizophrenic. The problem is I can't tell the difference between which one's which, which one is the real me.




What do you think of Nick Rhodes quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts